Wolf Conservation & Sanctuary
Join our Wolf conservation and sanctuary project to help careand rehabilitate Iberian wolves that can not be released back in to the wild. Iberian wolves are being threatened by the intense persecution driven by the human population. Wolves need adequate refuge and wildlife preys to survive but with the growing population of farms, protection of livestock is priority. The organizations main efforts are divided by running a sanctuary for wolves that can not be released back in to the wild as well as protecting and conservating existing wolves in the wild. The volunteers main focus is the Wolf Sanctuary.
Wolves, like all other wildlife, have a right to exist in a wild state in viable populations. This right is in no way related to their known value to mankind. Instead, it derives from the right of all living creatures to co-exist with man as a part of natural ecosystems. " (Manifesto and guidelines on wolf conservation)
This is an amazing opportunity to understand the ecological and socioeconomic conditions essential for effective conservation of the wolf population in Portugal, together with the public awareness. Experience living off the grid while helping with the daily routine to provide the best captive conditions for wolves that cannot live in the wild: victims of trapping, abuse, and illegal captivity or those coming from other zoos or parks. These wolves who find refuge here are true ambassadors of wolves in nature, contributing to public awareness to conservation of the last big carnivore of this country.!
This Is Why
- The wolves are of paramount importance as they contribute not only for the protection of the target species but all others that interact with it.
- Opportunity to observe a wolf for the first time in semi-natural conditions.
- Become a volunteer and assist by providing care for wolves that cannot live in the wild and enjoy visiting beautiful Portugal!
- Key Start Dates
From February till the end of November each year (book early in advance to be assured of a volunteer placement)
- Package Prices
12 Days: 995 US$
24 Days: 1495 US$
36+ days: Available on request
- Volunteer duration
12 or 24 Days
- Average Work hours
Volunteers work 7 hours daily starting at 9 am and finishing at 6 pm (with 2 hours lunch time) During the summer the schedule can be changed and the work day start earlier and finish later with a large break on hottest hours of the day Volunteers can have 2 days off (weekends usually), but extra days are possible if requested.
- Number of Volunteers
1 - 8
- Volunteer accommodation
Included accommodatioin in a Cabin
- Housing Type
- Internet Access
Yes, wireless internet included.
- Who Are They Looking For?
Love of the outdoors and a passion for wildlife is a priority. You should not be fussy, picky or hypersensitive about cleaning as this is one of the main chores. We will not tolerate smoking, alcohol or the use of drugs. Please remember that you are a guest, therefore, respecting the rules is essential.
Fast Facts: Portugal
Where? Europe, Portugal
Country Size: 92,212 km2
35,603 sq mi
Population density? 114.5/km2, 296.6/sq mi
Country Famous for? Ocean Cliffs, Beaches, Iberan Wolves, friendly people, Seafood
When to visit: All year round
- What's Included
Wolf Conservation & Sanctuary
- Pick Up
We pick up the volunteers at the closest bus stop (Vale da Guarda). Volunteers must arrive at the pick-up point between 2 and 4 pm.
You’ll be staying in a shared wooden Cabins with other volunteers.
Meals are not included. However the project will arrange transportation to the nearest grocery store. Your food can be prepared individually and as a group. You are responsible for preparing and buying your own meals.
- Ongoing service
If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the organization.
Through FRONTEERING you have the possibility to book tours in Scotland after you have finished your volunteer project.
- 24/7 Emergency contact
If there are any problems during you stay in Portugal you can reach us 24/7 to assist you.
What's not included: flights, Meals and Insurance.
12 Days: $995.00 US, 24 Days: $1495 US, 36 Days: inquire, 48 Dayss: inquire and 60 Dayss: inquire
Volunteers and Interns are the backbone and the main force that pushes the organization forward. Attitude is the first thing the project looks at. It is always important to show respect, take initiative, ask questions and to get involved in all the activities that are done at the project.
You will take part in some of the following tasks:
- preparation of food and feeding and providing water to the wolves: helping on handling the meat and giving it to the wolves, checking the wolves’ water supplies (during summer at least 3 times a day). Food preparation involves handling and cutting raw meat.
- monitoring and observation of the wolves.
- site maintenance (e.g. picking litter, forest clearing, digging, painting, cleaning, etc.); - during the summer months (June to October) fire watch - can include night rounds.
- Forest maintenance (70% of the time of your time) tree felling and pruning removal of branches and other materials and subsequent burningvegetation clearing using agricultural tools like hoes and scythes and so on During the summer (May to October) fire watch can include night rounds.
- Maremma sheepdogs: Keep in mind you’ll be responsible for Feeding, watering, grooming, walking, poop scooping, changing straw beds in kennel.
- Infrastructures maintenance checking enclosure’s walls and fences, painting pathways improvement.
- Be flexible and help out with any new tasks that come up
- Enjoy your time and volunteer knowing all your tasks help with this great cause.
- THE CAUSE
The sanctuary was set up to provide a safe haven for wolves who can no longer be released back in to the wild. While their organization also protects and conservates the wild wolves of Portugal the main involvement of the volunteers is within the sanctuary. The Sanctuary gives these rescued and confiscated wolves the opportunity to live out their lives in a semi wild state in their very large enclosures. Due to this touching the wolves is avoided at all times.
- Requirements, Guidelines & Policies
- Required to commit to a minimum of 2 weeks
- NO SMOKING is allowed on the project site.
- Strong work ethics are required: reliable, responsible, honest, good sense of humour, dependable, physically and mentally fit.
- Age: 18+
- Do not leave anything hazardous or any personal items around the wolves– out of curiosity, they may consume something toxic or harmful.
- Must complete 2-4 days of training and shadow a senior volunteer before starting independent shifts
- To speak up if you do not feel comfortable completing a task
- Must love animals, keen on the outdoors, happy to brave the weather, and able bodied
- No animal allergies
- Volunteer Benefits
- Get the opportunity to work with wolves and learn the many aspects involved.
- Meet and live with other volunteers and make new friends!
- Learn some portuguese
- Enjoy the amazing nature and culture of Portugal!
- Fast Facts
- Project location
- Area Famous For
Lisbon, Beaches, Mountains, Port wine, .
- When to visit
All year round.
- Wildlife viewing
You can view an abundance of wildlife and at the ocean a pletohra of sea life.
- Project location
There is no women/men separation and both kitchen and bathroom are shared by all occupants. Volunteers will stay in wooden houses, The houses are equipped with washing machine, stove, oven, microwave, fridge/freezer and cooking utensils. We provide towels and blankets.
Meals are not included in the participation fee. Each volunteer is responsible for buying and preparing his/her food. The house where the volunteers are lodged has a kitchen and cooking appliances, a fridge/freezer. Volunteers are taken grocery shopping once a week to a large supermarket where virtually all kinds of foods can be found. Vegetarians can also find items here like tofu and seitan. Volunteers can prepare the meals in a group or as individuals and the meals eaten in the dining room in the volunteers' house. Volunteers are responsible for the washing up the dishes and kitchen utensils.
The volunteer project is located about 30 km from Lisbon, occupying 17 hectares (42 acres) in a secluded natural beautiful and luxuriant valley.