Wildlife Sanctuary Fl
Travel to Orlando in beautiful Florida the sunshine state of the USA not far from beautiful beaches and the ocean and volunteer at wildlife sanctuary! Volunteer at a center for abused and abandoned exotic wildlife like monkeys, wolves, bears, serval, tigers, and leopards!
Enjoy the best of both worlds and volunteer at the wildlife center. Get involved with wildlife and help these creatures with the care, nurturing and rehabilitation needed to restore them to their stronger selves! While on your days of relaxation, take the time to go wildlife viewing and site seeing! This project is in need of your help all year round and works with many different types of animals such as; monkeys, tigers, bears and bats. The work with the wildlife on the center is physically demanding and it is by no means an ‘easy holiday option’! The minimum duration of stay is 4 weeks with a maximum duration of 12 weeks, this gives you the opportunity to learn the project’s routine and it also gives the animals a chance to get to know and trust you within the durations offered.
This Is Why
- Help at wildlife rescue and rehabilitation center based near Orlando, Florida!
- Learn about the care and habits of many different kind of exoctic and native predators!
- Educate the public and help with events
- Visit the famous Silver River and Silver Spring Sate Park, go wildlife viewing and enjoy the sun!
- Key Start Dates
All year round (Please take into consideration that the project prefers to have volunteers start on a Monday!)
- Volunteer duration
4 - 12 weeks
04 weeks: $2,195 US
06 weeks: $3,095 US
08 weeks: $3,895 US
12 weeks: $5,295 US
- Average Work hours
You will volunteer 7 days a week. 5 days are 8 hours plus about 1/2 hour for lunch. There wil be one half day (on Thursday at this time) and one ‘almost a day off’ on Sunday, where volunteers work 1-2 hours in the morning and the rest of the day is off. Keep in mind that it is like living on a farm, the animals always need to be fed and cared for.
- Number of Volunteers
- Volunteer accommodation
- Housing Type
Fully furnished house with full bathroom(s) and kitchen, air conditioning, wireless internet access. Men and women have separate houses
- Internet Access
Yes, however you will need to bring your laptop
- Who Are They Looking For?
Love of the outdoors and a passion for wildlife is a priority. You should not be fussy, picky or hypersensitive about cleaning as this is one of the main chores. We will not tolerate smoking, alcohol or the use of drugs. Please remember that you are a guest, therefore, respecting the rules is essential. Probably not the best place to volunteer if you are a vegetarian.
Fast Facts: USA
Where? North America, USA
Country Size: 9,826,675 km2
3,794,101 sq mi
Population density? 33.7/km2
Country Famous for? Statue of Liberty, Yellowstone National Park, Old West, Rocky Mountains, Hamburgers & Hotdogs, Everglades, Alligators, Hawaii, Vulcano's, New York, Statue of Liberty, Las Vegas, Hollywood
When to visit: All year round, many activities all year round with great mixture culture and nature!
- What's Included
Wildlife Florida Sanctuary
- Airport Pickup
We will be waiting for you at the airport in Orlando and transfer you to your at the volunteer project.
A fully furnished house with full bathroom(s) and kitchen, air conditioning, wireless internet access. Men and women have separate houses
- Ongoing service
If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the organization.
Through FRONTEERING you have the possibility to book tours in the USA after you have finished your volunteer project.
- 24/7 Emergency contact
If there are any problems during you stay in Vancouver you can reach us 24/7 to assist you.
What's not included: Flights, Insurance, Meals
04 weeks: $2,195 US
06 weeks: $3,095 US
08 weeks: $3,895 US
This Project is a lifetime care sanctuary for non-releasable wild animals in Florida. The project is a fully equipped wildlife rehabilitation center and admits many patients per year, these patients’ ranges from big cats to bears, wolves, primates, bats and more. The goal of this wildlife rehabilitation center is to care and nurture sick, injured and orphaned wild animals. At the project, patient handling and human noises are kept to a minimum in an effort to reduce stress and maintain respect for the wild animal’s space. All volunteers participate with the staff in the daily activities of the rehabilitation center. Volunteers are supervised by staff rehabilitators. Some of your responsibilities include:
- Foster care for the animals including medical treatments
- Cage cleaning, Laundry and washing dishes
- Maintenance and building of Habitats
- Habitat Constructions
- Ground & garden maintenance
- Food prep & Diet and water changing
- Helping with events
- TASKS AND DUTIES
As a volunteer at the project you will need to be able to work in the outdoor Florida heat and be willing to learn how to handle wildlife while appreciating that they are wildlife. Animal care would include food preparation, cage cleaning, habitat and tank construction or maintenance, cleaning of the hospital, feeding, medical restraint, and other medical responsibilities as appropriate to the skills learned by the intern. In some cases you will also be involve in other facets of the business including marketing, fund raising, clerical work and volunteer coordination.You will be working in the hospital and outdoors caring for the animals.
- Requirements, Guidelines & Policies
- Willingness and ability to keep your commitments; to be focused and paying attention to the animals at all times; to use common sense and thinking ability; to demonstrate initiative and yet be willing to ask questions when appropriate; to work independently with minimal supervision or direction; to demonstrate good decision-making skills; to put the animals first; to learn each animal, with their names, species, personal history, disability, and at least their general natural history.
- Volunteers must commit for 4 weeks
- NO SMOKING is allowed on the property
- Have to be 21 years of age or older
- Strong work ethics are required: reliable, responsible, honest, good sense of humour, dependable, physically and mentally fit.
- No animal allergies
- Must have tetanus vaccination, proof of TB vaccination and health insurance
- Volunteer Benefits
- The opportunity to volunteer with and learn about many different kind of exotic predators
- The opportunity to volunteer with a great team of staff and other volunteers
- The opportunity to explore beautiful Florida
- Fast Facts
- Project location
- Area Famous For
Orlando, Disney World, Beaches, Red wolf, Florida Panther, snorkeling, Everglades
- When to visit
Great weather all year round!
- Wildlife viewing
Good oppertunties to see widllfie species like alligators, snakes, pelicans, deer, black bear, foxes, coyotes
- Project location
- Itinerary & Details
Day 1 - Arrive in Florida USA;
You will arrive in Orlando Florida, USA where you will be met at the airport and transferred to your accommodation at the project.
For 4 - 12 weeks – Care for Exotic wildlife, help run the center and educate the public!
For the coming 4 - 12 weeks you will have a great time working with many different kinds of excotic predators, educating the public and helping with other day to day activities.
Your last day - you will transfer back to the airport to take a flight back home. Of course it is possible to extend your stay in and travel around; we can help you with trips and/or accommodation you would like to arrange.
You will live in a fully furnish house located on the project site. You will have a private bedroom with linen and towels, (please make sure that your room is cleaned before you leave so as to accommodate for the next volunteer) together with a shared bathroom with shower and a laundry room. You are responsible to clean and tidy your own room, shower and toilet (meals not included however you will be able to prepare meals in the Kitchen that is included within the house). Men and women have separate houses.
Things to bring from home
- Clothes for mild temperatures as well as for wet and very warm temperatures. Make these clothes are allowed to get dirty.
- Comfortable walking shoes are essential, and you should also pack a raincoat and some sun block
- Linen and towels will be provided.
The project does not provide food for volunteers. Housing and vehicles are provided for all volunteers. You can use one of the projects vehicles to go buy groceries and cook for yourself or together with the other volunteers.
Florida is an exciting destination for nature and wildlife enthusiasts. You will find a variety of activities to enjoy. Through Public transport there is easy access to the Silver Spring State Park where you will have excellent opportunities for wildlife viewing and enjoy other activities such as; horse riding, kayaking, nature walks, birding and so much more!
Testimonials Coming Soon!