Gauteng, South Africa$1795.00
Looking for a unique Conservational volunteering experience? How about taking up our volunteering project set in a South African wildlife reserve home to the big 5? You will be working along a team of talented individuals all striving towards a common goal of expanding and creating habitual environment for free roaming Wildlife!
This project is based in one of the biggest Game Reserves in the province, comprising of 18000 hectares! Through endless analyzing, monitoring and recording, what the team has found is that the biggest threat to predatorial and game animals such as; lions, hyenas, elephants etc. who requires lots of space, is the loss of habitual environment due to farming and human presence. As a countermeasure, the project is currently trying to increase the size of the reserve by including previous cattle ranches on the boundary making that a growth of 20%. If a successful working model can be formed there will be opportunity to expand the reserve even further.
Come be a part of this amazing opportunity and volunteer for a minimum of 2 weeks! The work is physically demanding, yet very rewarding! Be a part of this amazing and niche experience!
This Is Why
- Become a volunteer now and participate at a Conservation project based in South Africa!
- Expand your knowledge on Conservation and learn new skills!
- Work alongside a team of talented individuals, build strong bonds, make friends and awesome memories!
- Take time on your leisure days to explore the amazing historical sites of Gauteng or visit the bustling City life of Pretoria and Johannesburg! Or go wildlife viewing while enjoying the sun and much more!
- Key Start Dates
All year round!
- Package Price
02 Weeks: $1795.00 US$
03 Weeks: $2495.00 US$
04 Weeks: $2995.00 US$
- Volunteer duration
2 - 4 weeks (Other durations available on request)
- Average Work hours
There isn’t a fixed schedule however the day usually lasts from 7AM to 4PM. Five to six days per week and Sundays are regarded as leisure days.
- Number of Volunteers
- Volunteer accommodation
Provided by the Project
- Housing Type
You will be staying at the venue consisting of some two-bedroom cottages.
Only if you purchase a sim card for your mobile phoneand apply pay for a data plan.
- Who Are They Looking For?
Love of the outdoors and a passion for wildlife is a priority. You should not be fussy, picky or hypersensitive about cleaning and manual labor as these are some of the main chores. Smoking is permitted only in designated areas and alcoholic beverages are only offered or allowed during special occasions. We will not tolerate the use of drugs. Please remember that you are a guest, therefore, respecting the rules is essential.
Fast Facts: South Africa
Where? Gauteng, South Africa
Country Size: 1,109 km2
428 sq mile
Population density? 62/km2
Country Famous for? Wildlife watching, Kruger Park, Garden Route, Addo National Park, Elephants, Dolphins, Great White Sharks, beaches, lagoons, friendly people, great food and wine, shopping, bungee jumping, adrenaline sports, Wildlife
When to visit: All year round
- What's Included
Wildlife Safari Conservation
You will be living in a private or semi-private room in the Center’s cottage house. Depending on how many other volunteers are attending this project at one time, you may share your room with 1 other volunteer (same sex). The cottage consists of 2 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms, a big living and dining room area where everyone enjoy dinners together. Outside there’s a bonfire area where volunteers can sit a have meaningful conversations under a starry sky or there’s also a lovely pool that volunteers can enjoy during the scorching summer days!
Volunteers will be provided three meals a day for their entire stay on the project. Special arrangements such as vegan or vegetarian food can be made as well. The food offered is not vegetarian unless you specify your special dietary needs before you arrive, this includes special dietary needs for medical conditions.
Transfers to and from Oliver Tambo International Airport for arrival and departure
- Ongoing service
If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the organization.
Through our organization you have the possibility to book tours in South Africa after you have finished your volunteer project.
- 24/7 Emergency contact
If there are any problems during your stay in South Africa you can reach us 24/7 to assist you.
What's not included: Flights, Insurances and any activities and sight-seeing that has a fee attached to it.
02 Weeks: $1795.00 US$
03 Weeks: $2495.00 US$
04 Weeks: $2995.00 US$
- What's Included
Since the area the project is currently based in was previously a cattle farm adjoining the Dinokeng Game Reserve which is the first free roaming Big 5 game reserve in Gauteng, the aim of the project is to convert that area into habitat suitable for wild and free roaming animals and incorporation into the Dinokeng reserve. As such, the project will offer you the unique opportunity to be involved the daily tasks as follows:
- Removal of old fences used for cattle farming, Conducting game counts when required and sex and age ratios of varied species in the vicinity. Volunteers will need to assist in creating and indigenous plant nursery and landscaping around the accommodation and assist with the demolition of old cattle kraals and dipping troughs etc.
- Bush walking for a couple hours to observe droppings, various plants, mammals, insects, birds, reptiles and animal track. Game drives in an open vehicle with the intention of viewing animals in their natural habitat. Lessons in conversation and the ecology of the area as well as animal behavior monitoring. Removal of alien vegetation, anti-erosion work, road repairs and bush clearing.
- Monitoring of collared animals. Accompanying Rangers on anti-poaching patrols. Any other conversation activity that may pop up from time to time.
- Fire management depending on the time of year and fire regimes.
- Volunteers will also need to assist with the building of the additional volunteer accommodation. There is salvageable structure that is ideal for further accommodation that the project intends repurposing.
- There is another dilapidated building that the project intends to salvage and renovate with the intention of accommodating university students or other persons wishing to do research projects within the reserve.
- Requirements, Guidelines & Policies
- Required to commit to a minimum of 2 weeks.
- You must respect and love animals;
- You must be tolerant towards others and abide by all sanctuary rules;.
- Positive attitude and the willingness to get ones’ hands dirty.
- Age: 18+
- Must have a good knowledge of English and confident in speaking it.
- Good communication skills
- You must be up to date in your routine Vaccinations.
- Must be able to work as part of a team or individually.
- Must read and agree to abide by guidelines and ethics of the project.
- Fast Facts
- Project location
Gauteng, South Africa
- Area Famous For
Historical sites, SAB World of Beer, The Apartheid Museum, Soweto and the Mandela Museum, Market Theatre, Friendly people, Cultures and Traditions, wildlife, endless outdoor activities!
- When to visit
All year round
- Project location
- Itinerary & Details
Day 1 -;
You will arrive in Kempton Park where you will be met by the Project’s transport team at the arrival hall. You’ll then be transferred to your accommodation on the project site.
For 2 - 4 Weeks – Help with reclaiming habitats for free roaming wild animals!
For the coming weeks you will have an exciting time working directly with an amazing team of people all working towards the common goal of reclaiming habitat for wild animals.
Your last day - You will be transferred back to the airport to take a flight back home. Of course, it is possible to extend your stay and travel around; we can help you with trips and/or accommodations you would like to arrange.
You will be living in a private or semi-private room in the Center’s cottage house. Depending on how many other volunteers are attending this project at one time, you may share your room with 1 other volunteer (same sex). The cottage consists of 2 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms, a big living and dining room area where everyone enjoy dinners together. Outside there’s a bonfire area where volunteers can sit a have meaningful conversations under a starry sky and there’s also a lovely pool that volunteers can enjoy during the scorching summer days!
Things to bring from home
- Hand Baggage - We advise you to walk with your Passport, Visa (optional), Medical and other insurance policies that you may have, your airline ticket, Mobile phone and charger and an international adaptor charger plug for charging your electronic devices. Contact numbers and your travel itinerary is advised to walk with as well. Your credit card if you so choose, your driving license and international driving permit if you decide to travel before or after participating at the project/intend to rent a vehicle. We advise that you walk with any personal medication you may have and if need be, a letter or prescription from your doctor in case additional medication is required. Laptop/Tablet would be good to bring along with you as well along with a camera, binoculars and sunglasses.
- Suitcase – It would be best to walk with at least 3 sets of sturdy Khaki or bush green shorts, pants and shirt, since there’s a swimming pool walking with a bathing suit would be great as well. Clothing for the scorching summer days and for the mosquitoes is recommended, such as long-sleeved tops and trousers. Lightweight raincoat or jacket. Winter months can be cold so walking with a thick jacket with hood and woolen hat would be perfect. Sturdy and comfortable walking shoes, trainers and socks/sandals are all essential. Bringing along with you your own first aid supplies such as headache tablets/paracetamol, antihistamines, tablets fir gastro and other basic medications you may require would be perfect as well. We recommend that you walk with insect repellent, a torch, working gloves, sunscreen, a small rucksack, a sunhat (preferably green in color) and your day to day toiletries and a towel should you wish to make use of the swimming pool. Bath towels are provided by the project.
Volunteers will be provided three meals a day for their entire stay on the project. Special arrangements such as vegan or vegetarian food can be made as well. The food offered is not vegetarian unless you specify your special dietary needs before you arrive, this includes special dietary needs for medical conditions. Any other snacks and beverages, meals and other entertainment off the venue are at the cost of the volunteer. There’s also a small general supply store relatively close by in case volunteers are interested in buying anything.
The project is based in the Gauteng Province of South Africa. Within aPrivate Game Reserve. They are also within easy access to the two largest cities in the nation which is Pretoria and Johannesburg.
There are various opportunities in the area to go site seeing, hiking, safaris and so much more!
Testimonials Coming Soon!