Rainforest & Wildlife Care - Australia
Take a trip to Australia to care for the country’s native wildlife while at a nature park in a tropical forest in North Queensland. The sanctuary focuses on wildlife, including mammals, reptiles and birds. As a volunteer, you will get the chance to be up close and personal with Australia’s native animals especially Koalas and work along experienced and highly trained wildlife keepers.
The project is located on 100 acres of tropical rainforest that is 30 minutes from Cairns. As a volunteer in this program, you will experience the wildlife, rainforest and nature as a local would and not a tourist. Immerse yourself in the culture of the Aboriginals and be awed by the amazing native wildlife the rainforest has to offer. The work can be physically demanding and strenuous and is by no means an ‘easy holiday option.’ Your duties will include koala leaf collection and distribution, preparing food for wildlife, general maintenance and an amazing opportunity to volunteer at a butterfly sanctuary and wildlife Dome in Cairns. Share and expand your knowledge on animal care. Participating in the program means that some days will be spent at the nature park, the butterfly sanctuary and one at the wildlife Doom. Meet other volunteers from around the world and make a great contribution toward protecting wildlife and their environment.
This Is Why
- Help in the conservation and care for Australia’s native wildlife and worl closely with animal keepers in all aspects of their roles.
- Great opportunity to volunteer at a butterfly sanctuary and wildlife Dome in Cairns!
- Great opportunity to explore and experience the region as a local.
- Learn a new culture and lifestyle while giving back to the environment!
- Key Start Dates
Year round (Program starts every second Tuesday. Volunteers must arrive in Cairns on Monday.)
- Package Price
4 weeks 2,695 US$
6 weeks 3,195 US$
8 weeks 3,695 US$
- Volunteer duration
4, 6 & 8 weeks
- Average Work hours
Five days out of 7 on a rotating roaster. The start time is varied depending on which park you will be working at.
- Number of Volunteers
5 - 10
Available! Housing Type being Hostel: Shared mixed dorm Accommodation
- Fly to
You should fly or travel to Cairns International Airport.
- Internet Access
- Who Are They Looking For?
Persons who have a great love of the outdoors and a passion for animals is a priority. You should not be fussy, picky or hypersensitive about cleaning. You must be physically fit and in good health. We will not tolerate smoking, alcohol or the use of drugs while at the program. Please remember that you are a guest, therefore, respecting the rules is essential.
Fast Facts: Australia
Where? Australia, Australasia and Oceania
Country Size: 7,692,042 km2
2,969,907 sq mi
Population density? 3.1/km2, 8/sq mi
Country Famous for? Unique wildlife, pristine beaches, Australian cuisine (pies, tim tams, lamingtons and pavlova), bushwalking, vibrant cities, friendly people – Aussie mateship, sunshine and perfect weather
When to visit: All year round
- What's Included
Rainforest and Wildlife Care - Australia
A mixed dorm room at a hostel: comfortable rooms, air-conditioning, modern facilities, self-catering kitchen, communal room.
You will be provided with breakfast daily and lunch on work days. You are responsible for all other meals. There is a self-catering kitchen where you can prepare your own meals and food supplies are available to purchase nearby.
- Airport Pick up & drop off
You will be picked up from Cairns Airport and taken to your accommodation in Cairns where you will spend one night. The next day, you will be transferred to the project.
- Ongoing service
If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the organization.
Through FRONTEERING you have the possibility to book tours in Australia after you have finished your volunteer project.
- 24/7 Emergency contact
If there are any problems during you stay in Australia you can reach us 24/7 to assist you.
What's not included: Flights, Insurance, Meals on non-work days.
04 Weeks: $2,695.00 US
06 Weeks: $3,195.00 US
08 Weeks: $3,695.00 US
As a volunteer at the project, you will work along with the staff and animal keepers where the focus will be rainforest, nature and wildlife. The work can be physically demanding at times and strenuous. Some of your key tasks will include:
- Preparation of food wildlife.
- Help with the cleaning and maintenance of the park.
- Upkeep of displays and exhibits.
- Landscape the tropical gardens and fruit orchards.
- General maintenance of park grounds and facilities.
- Help in Koala Leaf collection and distribution.
- Assist with record keeping duties under supervision.
- Butterfly egg collection & host plant collection.
- Opportunity to handle animals depending on your ability.
- Requirements, Guidelines & Policies
- Required to commit to a minimum of 4 weeks
- NO SMOKING is allowed at the project.
- Strong work ethics are required: reliable, responsible, honest, good sense of humour, dependable, physically and mentally fit.
- Age: 18+
- No animal allergies
- Extreme Weather (heat & cold) especially the heat in the summer.
- A love for animals and some general experience of caring for an animal is a must!
- Must read and agree to abide by guidelines and ethics
- Good knowledge of the English
- Volunteer Benefits
- Work along with other volunteers from around the world to help conserve and care for Australia’s native wildlife.
- Great opportunity to view one of the seven wonders of the world – The Great Barrier Reef!
- Great opportunity to volunteer at more than one projects including a Butterfly Sanctuary and a wildlife Dome!
- Fast Facts
- Project location
- Area Famous For
Known as the Gateway to The Great Barrier Reef, Daintree National Park, Sea Turtles, Wildlife watching, beaches, waterfalls friendly people
- When to visit
All year round
- Wildlife viewing
Cairns has great opportunities to view wildlife which includes Sea turtles, Mahogany Gliders, saltwater crocodiles, Kangaroos and Green Possums and much more!
- Project location
- Itinerary & Details
Day 1 - Arrive in Cairns, Australia;
You will arrive in beautiful Cairns where you will be met at the airport and transferred to your accommodation.
For 4 weeks or more – Be a Rainforest and Wildlife volunteer! For the coming weeks you will have a great time working directly with animal keepers and staff of the project.
Your last day - You will fly back home or take the opportunity to travel through Australia. Our staff will gladly help you to book any tours to see more of this great country.
- Itinerary & Details
As a wildlife volunteer, you will be staying at a hostel. Your room will be a shared mixed dorm room. The rooms are comfortable with AC, modern facilities, a clean self-catering kitchen and communal areas. Keep in mind that you need to bring the following from home; Fully enclosed work boots, Socks, Sunscreen, Shorts/Trousers for daily work (beige, khaki or brown), Light weight waterproof jacket and a Camera.
Breakfast is included daily and lunch is included only on work days. The hostel provides kitchen facilities so you can make your own meals on non-working days or any other meal you wish to prepare. No meal provisions are given. Food supplies will be available to purchase nearby.
This project is located thirty minutes north-west of Cairns on 100 acres of tropical rainforest in North Queensland. There will be wonderful opportunities to explore the Tropical North during your days off and be part of several incredible projects.