South Australia, Australia$1795.00
Take a break out of your hectic world and be a part of the conservation of wildlife in Kangaroo Island! Located at the gateway to South Australia’s most iconic wilderness area and on 5000 acres filled with an abundance of wildlife on the Australia’s Galapagos, this experience is the perfect opportunity for those who want to encounter different species of wildlife and work in one of the best preserved ecosystems in Australia!
Travel to Australia and participate in the daily operations of the Kangaroo Island Wildlife Sanctuary, Kangaroo Island. The sanctuary monitors animals such as Koalas, Kangaroos, Tammar, Wallabies, Possums and Echidnas among other wildlife. Whether it’s helping out in the preservation of animals and plants in the sanctuary or having easy access to visit the Flinders Chase National Park and the Great Southern Ocean on your days off, this experience will definitely change the way you look at life. Act as a wildlife guide on their newly National Geographic featured nocturnal walk where you will help to locate animals. What’s better than enjoying the breathtaking view of millions of stars that light up the night and sleeping in a comfortable accommodation in a beautiful wilderness setting? Be inspired by the hundreds of animals and birds that you will encounter on a daily basis and don’t miss the chance to be part of an unforgettable volunteer experience!
This Is Why
- Live and volunteer in one of the best preserved and diverse ecosystems in Australia!
- Assist with the monitoring of koalas and other wildlife.
- Easy access to Flinders Chase National Park, Great Southern Ocean, great beaches and other wonderful sights.
- Be part of the famous nocturnal walk that was recently featured on the National Geographic.
- Key Start Dates
Year round, you will have to arrive on THURSDAY at Kingscote from Adelaide. You will need to arrive in Kingscote between 10 AM and 2 PM on a Thursday.
- Package Price
2 weeks 1,795 US$
3 weeks 2,295 US$
4 weeks 2,695 US$
- Volunteer duration
2 - 4 weeks (other durations available on request)
- Average Work hours
You will be required to volunteer 5 or 6 days a week and around 8 -10 hrs per day, depending on the time of year. Days off are not always in the weekend.
- Number of Volunteers
4 - 5
- Fly to
You should fly or travel to Adelaide. From there you can fly Kingscote on Kangaroo Island. Alternatively you can take a ferry to Cape Jervis and take a bus shuttle to Kingscote. You should arrive one night in advance which you will spent at a hostel in Adelaide.
- Internet Access
Yes, but limited and should be kept to a minimum
- Who Are They Looking For?
Love of the outdoors and a passion for animals is a priority. You should not be fussy, picky or hypersensitive about cleaning as this is one of the main chores. Please remember that you are a guest, therefore, respecting the rules is essential.
Fast Facts: Australia
Where? Austalasia, New South Wales
Country Size: 7,692,042 km2
2,969,907 sq mi
Population density? 2.8/km2, 7.3/sq mi
Country Famous for? Kangaroo's, Sydney, Wildlife watching, Beaches, Surfing, Aboriginals, Dingo's, Fraser island, Great Barrier Reef, Kakadu National park
When to visit: All year round
- What's Included
Kangaroo Island WIldlife Sanctuary
Shared room on a farmhouse near the project (maximum of 4 persons per room).
Provisions for meals are provided on a weekly basis and a fully equipped kitchen in your quarters where you will have to prepare your own meals (breakfast and dinner). At the visitor center, lunch will be provided.
You will stay for 1 night at a hostel in Adelaide the day before you will travel to Kangaroo island either by Ferry or flight.
- Ongoing service
If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the organization.
Through FRONTEERING you have the possibility to book tours in Australia after you have finished your volunteer project.
- 24/7 Emergency contact
If there are any problems during you stay in Australia you can reach us 24/7 to assist you.
What's not included: Flights, Insurance, travel to Kangaroo Island
02 Weeks: $1,795.00 US
03 Weeks: 2,295.00 US
04 Weeks: $2,695.00 US
As a volunteer at the project you become part of the team and help in the day to day operations at the Hudson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary. They are involved with the conservation of the native species of animals and plants that are found in the protected area. You will be surrounded by many species of animals that are all totally. Just keep in mind that that it is unlikely that you will hold or work direclty with any animals but you will be up close and surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of animals. You will have some of the following responsibilities:
- Act as wildlife spotters on the nocturnal tour.
- Photograph and record wildlife.
- Maintaining the upkeep of the paths and fences.
- Help in identifying and cataloguing native trees.
- Take part in small group cultural and environmental immersion programs.
- Planting shrubs and trees
- Collecting, propagating and dispersing seeds.
- Assist with tourists and help with guided tours.
- Beekeeping and many other tasks, etc. You will learn a great deal about Australian Wildlife in general
- Requirements, Guidelines & Policies
- Required to commit to a minimum of 2 weeks
- We do not tolerate drugs. Our smoking policy is that is not permitted indoors. Alcohol is permitted (after all it is Australia) but alcohol abuse and antisocial behaviour are strictly not tolerated.
- Strong work ethics are required: reliable, responsible, honest, good sense of humour, dependable, physically and mentally fit.
- Age: 20+
- No animal allergies
- Extreme Weather (heat & cold), dirt and living in a remote area must be something you can handle
- A love for animals and some general experience of caring for an animal is a must!
- Must read and agree to abide by guidelines and ethics
- Good knowledge of the English
- Volunteer Benefits
- Get trained in the care of different animal species
- Learn about guiding Tours
- Help with the conservation of Native Australian wildlife
- Fast Facts
- Project location
- Area Famous For
Kangaroo's, Kaola's, Galapagos of Australia, Beaches, tame wildlife, watersports
- When to visit
All year round
- Wildlife viewing
Great place to see wildlife like Kangaroo's, Koala's, dolphins and Cockatoo's!
- Project location
- Itinerary & Details
Day 1 - Arrive in Adelaide, Australia;
You will arrive in Adelaide where you will stay for one night. You will make your way to Kangaroo island he next day either by flight or ferry.
For 2 - 4 weeks -Volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary! For the coming weeks you will have a great time working on the amazing Kangaroo island at a wildlife sanctuary.
Your last day - You will travel back to Adelaide and fly home or take the opportunity to travel through Australia . Our staff will gladly help you to book any tours to see more of this great country.
- Itinerary & Details
You will be staying on a Farmhouse and share a room with three other volunteers of your gender. The Farmhouse is just 250 meters from the Visitor Center and is surrounded by hundreds of native animals. The house has two shared bathrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, lounge, dining room and a large games room all of which you would have access to. For entertainment, there are lots of books, magazines, DVD’s and even an outside BBQ and dining area that are all available for you.
Meals provisions will be provided on a weekly basis and you will have access to a fully equipped kitchen in your quarters where you and the other volunteers will prepare your breakfast and dinner. A sandwich lunch will be provided at the visitor center and this may vary.
Kangaroo Island is located in Australia on 5000 acres of protected area filled with an abundance of wildlife. This is for those who love the outdoors!
FREE TIME ACTIVITIES THAT CAN BE ARRANGED AT YOUR COST COULD INCLUDE: Dive with the Dolphins with KI Marine Tours (warmer months), Quad bike Tour, Canoe Hire with KI Outdoor Action, Birds of Prey show, Seal Bay visit, Little Sahara, Kelly Hill Caves, Sealink day tours (recommended for before or after you volunteers experience).