Husky Ranch Alaska
Wild, unspoiled, remote and mysterious, Alaska blows your mind away and brings out your spirit of adventure! Visit us now for an unforgettable experience as you become a volunteer and learn off-grid living, dog care and best of all, dog mushing! Come join us now at our Husky Ranch Alaska project!
Located North-West of Canada, Alaska is the largest and most sparsely populated U.S state. If you are looking to experience living off the grid then this is the destination for you as this state is famously known for its massive open spaces, mountains, forests filled with an abundance of various species of wildlife, some found nowhere else in the world!
Come get a feel of what it takes to cut off all connections with the modern day world! But not to worry as to make your experience even more fun you will be helping with the daily routines involved in caring, grooming and dog-sledging with the beautiful dogs of our Alaskan dog sledding ranch. Here they promote and actively maintains a kennel of traditional sled dogs, they also teach handlers the basics about dog care and dog mushing along with providing tours. You will have lots of chances to dogsled during the winter and of course play /care for the dogs! This project has excellent opportunities in winter however summer has its own advantages and many opportunities to hike, mountain bike, Kayaking and so much more! Do keep in mind as well that during the summer there is limited to no dog sledding as the temperature is too hot for the dogs, snow is also scarce as well. That aside, Alaska is also a great place for wildlife viewing. The work on the ranch is physically demanding and it is by no means an’ easy holiday option’! The minimum duration of stay is 6 weeks with a maximum duration of 12 weeks. Join us Now!
This Is Why
- Play with the dogs of the ranch and go dog sledding!
- Live off the grid in a cosy cabin for the ultimate Alaskan wilderness experience.
- Volunteer in one of the most picturesque places in the world and explore the natural beauty of Alaska.
- Opportunities for Wildlife viewing in the surrounding property and National Park.
- Key Start Dates
All year round (book early in advance to be assured of a volunteer placement)
- Volunteer duration
6 - 12 weeks (Longer duration available upon request)
- Package Price
6 weeks 1795 US$
8 weeks 1995 US$
10 weeks 2195 US$
12 weeks 2395 US$
- Average Work hours
4 – 6 hours per day, 5-6 days per week (There will be lots of leisure time throughout your stay).
- Number of Volunteers
- Volunteer accommodation
- Housing Type
- Internet Access
Only if you purchase a SIM Card on your arrival and activate a plan, as they have good cell-phone reception.
- Who Are They Looking For?
Love of the outdoors and a passion for wildlife is a priority. You should not be fussy, picky or hypersensitive about cleaning as this is one of the main chores. We will not tolerate smoking, alcohol or the use of drugs. Please remember that you are a guest, therefore, respecting the rules is essential.
Fast Facts: USA
Where? North America, USA
Country Size: 9,826,675 km2
3,794,101 sq mi
Population density? 33.7/km2
Country Famous for? Statue of Liberty, Yellowstone National Park, Old West, Rocky Mountains, Hamburgers & Hotdogs, Everglades, Alligators, Hawaii, Vulcano's, New York, Statue of Liberty, Las Vegas, Hollywood
When to visit: All year round, many activities all year round with great mixture culture and nature!
- What's Included
Husky Ranch Alaska
- Airport Pickup
You will be picked up from the Fairbanks International Airport and from there, you’ll be picked up and transferred to your accommodation on the project site.
Shared back to basic cabins.
3 meals a day inclueded during your entire stay.
- Ongoing service
If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the organization.
Through FRONTEERING you have the possibility to book tours in the USA after you have finished your volunteer project.
- 24/7 Emergency contact
If there are any problems during you stay in Alaska you can reach us 24/7 to assist you.
What's not included: International flights and Insurance along with any activity apart from the project
6 Weeks: $1795.00 US 8 Weeks: $1995.00 US, 10 Weeks: $2095.00 US, 12 Weeks: $2295.00 US
Volunteers and Interns are the main force that pushes the organization forward. Attitude is the first thing the project looks at. Keep in mind that you will not be spending your whole day working with the dogs. You will be working a few hours per day with the dogs and your other time will be spent doing something you’d like to do privately. There will be many tasks involved that might not be so interesting at times. It is good to keep in mind that this project is great because it allows you to experience a different life style, while volunteering with huskies and other dogs and getting the opportunity to dogsled! These dogs are really well-known for strength, will-power and determination as well as for their friendliness. You will take part in some of the following tasks:
- Construction/maintenance. Dog yard; working with the dogs, feeding them and caring for them.
- Hooking dogs up and taking them on training runs. Off-grid care throughout each week. Dog-sledging and Cleaning tasks.
- Requirements, Guidelines & Policies
- Age required: 19-35
- Volunteers must commit for a minimum of 6 weeks.
- NO SMOKING is allowed on the property. Absolutely no smoking around the dogs; and never leave a cigarette on the ground because they are toxic to dogs.
- Strong work ethics are required: reliable, responsible, honest, good sense of humour, dependable, physically and mentally fit.
- Do not leave anything hazardous or any personal items around the dogs – out of curiosity, they may consume something toxic or harmful.
- No animal allergies.
- To make sure you complete your work to the appropriate standard
- To speak up if you do not feel comfortable completing a task
- To keep all personal belongings inside your room/cabin
- Volunteer Benefits
- Go dog sledding!
- Play with the dogs!
- Enjoy the amazing nature and culture of Alaska!
- Fast Facts
- Project location
- Area Famous For
Dogsledding, lakes, snow shoeing, skiing, The Northern Lights, Mushing competitions, Kayaking, wolves, Polar bears, reindeer, beautiful landscapes.
- When to visit
All year round!
- Wildlife viewing
You can view an abundance of wildlife. Wolf, reindeer, bears and so much more.
- Project location
- Itinerary & Details
Day 1 - Arrive in Fairbanks, Alaska;
You will be picked up from the airport and from there picked up and transferred to your accommodation 0n the project site.
For 6 weeks or more – Volunteer, dogsled and play with Huskies!
For the coming 6-12 weeks you will have a great time working volunteering while being surrounded by beautiful mountain ranges and nature!
Your last day - You will transfer back to the airport to take a flight back home. Of course it is possible to extend your stay in USA and travel around.
Shared back to basic cabins.
Things to bring from home
- Clothes for cold temperatures as well as for summer for warm temperatures. Make these clothes are allowed to get dirty. Make sure to bring gloves, a toque and warm socks with you.
- Comfortable walking shoes are essential, and you should also pack a raincoat and some sun block
- Linen and towels will be provided, outer gear , snow suits , boots , gloves and hats will be provided.
Meals are included. (breakfast, Lunch and Dinner).
The Husky Ranch is located near Fairbanks, Alaska. It is quite isolated so please keep this in mind. If you are not comfortable with the idea of living in an remote location, this is not the right volunteer opportunity for you.