Guyanas Frontier


Looking for a new exciting and excotic destination? Searching for something different then Costa Rica & Thailand? Don't feel like speaking Spanish during your volunteer experience? We recommend you to consider Guyana, one of the last frontiers in South America and the only English Speaking Country in the Continent!

Guyana Is located between Brazil, Venezuela and Suriname and is the most upper region of the Amazon basin. It is one of the least explored and uninhabited countries in the world:


Fast Facts: Guyana

Where? Guyana, Amazon

Country Size: 214,970 km2
83,000 sq mi

Population density? 3.5/km2
9.1/sq mi

Country Famous for? Vaquero's (cowboys), Rupununi Rodeo festival, Unspoiled interior, Amazon jungle, Jaguars, Black Caiman, Giant Otters, Turtles

When to visit: Dry season, From September until the end of April


With a population of only 750 thousand it is no wonder that 80% of Guyana is still covered in jungle. The other 20% consist mainly out of the coast where most of the people live (mainly in the capital Georgetown) and the thinly inhabited Savannas’ of the western side of Guyana.
Being a frontier destination Guyana lends excellent opportunities for some of the most amazing expeditions, volunteer aboard projects and adventure travel trips! The wildlife in Guyana is amazing and it is often called a land of Giants with species like Anaconda’s,  Jaguars, Giant Otter, Arapaima, Harpy Eagle, Scarlet Macaw, Giant Anteater, Giant Armadillo, Black Piranha, Bushmaster, Capybara, Cougar and pink river dolphins!



Besides the wildlife Guyana is also home to many different communities. At the coast you will find a real Caribbean atmosphere while more inland in the west you will travel back in to time to a place where cowboys still ride the savannah as if it were the year 1800. Venturing south there are many Amerindian communities and tribes who are still holding on to their way of life. Some tribes have had no contact with the outside world for decades while some have never been in contact with the outside world at all! And then there is of course one of the world's largests waterfals and the Guiana Shield where Sir Arthur Conan Doyle the famous explorer searched for Eldorado and got inspired to write his famous book the Lost World. It was here that he imagined a prehistoric world on top of Guyana's immense table like mountains. If this sounds like an amazing adventure to you then please check out our volunteer projects, expeditions and adventure travel trips in Guyana!







Back To Top